General chatter

Got a comment not related to a specific review? Seen a film you want to recommend (or anti-recommend)? Just want to say ‘hi’?

This is the place for off-topic chat!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

155 Responses to General chatter

1. lyzmadness says:

While I don’t mind at all when review comments go off-topic (like my Amityville Playhouse review devolving into a discussion of the finer points of chicken-fried steak and Chiko rolls), I know that sometimes people have something to say but aren’t sure where to say it. This page is now the place for all those random observations!

• Dawn says:

Speaking of chicken-fried steak –
      Cracker Barrel is now advertising chicken-fried turkey.
      It may be un-American to say this, but I don’t really care for turkey, at least not the white meat. It’s too dry. I’m not sure frying it would help much.

• therevdd says:

I haven’t had CFT so I can’t comment. My dad has made a couple of deep-fried turkeys in the past, and they end up surprisingly juicy. I know quite a few people that don’t like turkey much, usually for the same reason as you. I guess they have never had a turkey prepared by someone with enough experience, because if done right it’s not dry at all, although naturally the dark meat is always more moist.

• Alaric says:

My mother used to put butter and brandy under the skin before cooking turkey. Kept it moist.

2. DennisMM says:

Mz. Lyz, a passing observation: I do wish (as do you, obviously, to a much greater degree) that you hadn’t suffered such travails at the old site. Once I discovered it, I was happily surprised to see that so many more of your reviews existed there. I was then saddened to see that the technical problems you mentioned on the front page have rendered half or more inaccessible. Many thanks to you for getting past that — quite a blow, I would imagine — for your continuing work to keep AYCYAS going, and for your love of genre film. Above all else, thank you for what you bring to your reviews themselves: wit, technical knowledge, sentimentality where appropriate, scorn where appropriate, and a mildly dirty mind at all times.

Enough sucking up. Have you seen “Session 9,” from 2001? Peter Mullan and David Caruso (who demonstrates here that he can act, damn it!) play the owner and lead worker of a small asbestos mitigation crew working on an insane deadline to clear an abandoned psychiatric hospital. Shot at an actual abandoned psychiatric hospital. The film is greatly underappreciated and, sadly, almost unknown. I think you might enjoy it.

Soon, I may write about how your review of “Truly, Madly, Deeply” at the old site reduced me to shattered tears, although that might better be revealed in a more private venue, such as an email.

“Geronimo!” as the Eleventh Doctor would say.

• Dawn says:

Session 9 was great. Best line, “you really need to wake up now.”
      I read in IMDB that there was a whole subplot taken out, of who (or what) was actually doing the possession. I think it’s more effective to have that completely unexplained.

Liked by 2 people

• DennisMM says:

AH AAM AHWAKEH!

• DennisMM says:

SPOILERS!!!

The special features on the disc reveal that the script went into some detail about the malevolent spirit, but that was kept as obscure as possible, in the final film. What’s amazing is that they cut scenes that had been filmed of a demented homeless woman who was living in the hospital before Gordon’s crew came along. There were multiple shots from her POV, and she appeared briefly in others. Even wonder what happened to the worker found dead in the great hall?

• Dawn says:

How effective would an alarm be with that phrase instead of a bell?

Liked by 1 person

• lyzmadness says:

Thank you for getting so thoroughly into the spirit of things, Dennis! 🙂

Those reviews are inaccessible (at the moment), but they’re not lost: the moving-over process will continue to tick along, though admittedly at a pace dictated by external circumstances; and I will continue to find opportunities to give the earlier pieces a good overhaul as required, as I did with The Creeping Flesh.

I haven’t seen Session 9 yet, but of course it’s On The List. (Oddly enough, I had an episode of CSI: Miami on when you posted this.)

Yes…haven’t had the heart to revisit TMD, for obvious reasons; it was hard enough the first time around. But as with everything else, it *will* get rolled over here…one day

Liked by 1 person

• I’ve been able to access some of the older reviews–such as “Alien”–by using the Internet Archive (the Wayback Machine).

Liked by 1 person

3. Dawn says:

I just watched ‘Cat People’ and ‘Curse of the Cat People’. (October scheduling – love it). I don’t understand how the same man could be so incredibly patient and understanding in the first movie (his wife tells him on their wedding night that there will be no intimacy of any kind until she’s ready, and he waits for what seems to be months), and in the second movie, tells his 6-yr-old daughter, “If you’re a good girl, I’ll love you.”
    Both are great movies, but I wanted to slap him upside the head in the second one.

• lyzmadness says:

But he never really understands; he just forbears. For a while.

And most likely the lesson he took away from the first events was not to encourage other people’s nonsense. (By that point, he’d probably rationalised himself out of believing his own eyes…)

• Dawn says:

Just the fact that he forbears is exceptional.
        Yes, he does say a few times about what can happen if a person is left to fantasize too much. but at one point, he tells his daughter she’s lying, when she says she passed an old dark house. The house exists, and is just a few blocks away. That seems a little over-reacting.
        Of course, at that time, parents often made their love conditional on their children’s behavior. Not recommended now. My parents never said anything like that, but the phrase, “I’m not mad, just disappointed” can still send chills down my spine.

4. Jim says:

But where do we talk about popcorn??

I mean, the reviews are the main attraction, that’s the Major Chatter. This is for the General Chatter. In the absence of promotion or demotion, shouldn’t there be a spot for Colonel Chatter? Maybe all movie refreshments go there, not just talk of popcorn kernels? And if a movie about Harvey Milk bombs, is that a Milk dud and goes in colonel chatter, or general chatter? There has to be another thread or we’d be forced to talk in private, which only leads to more questions on rank and where it goes and if it gets another thread.

It’s all very confusing.

(And on a more serious note. I actually timed my sleep schedule out to watch Doc Savage: Man of Bronze 2:30-4:00am. The sacrifices we make for our love of movies. No comments about Monk’s pet pig are forthcoming until the food thread issues are clarified.)

RIGHT. HERE.

While my email address opens up the possibility of Private Chatter.

• therevdd says:

I’m glad you made a point to say the discursions on movie threads are still fine; otherwise I’d be in serious trouble! Still, this is a neat idea.

Oh, be sure to let everyone know how often Private Chatter goes AWOL, my dear.

*coughs*

*runs and hides*

• Jim says:

If Private Chatter goes AWOL it could lead to discussions of physical punishment enacted on the abuser, thus turning it into Corporal Chatter.

• lyzmadness says:

So basically you guys have made up your minds to make me regret this?? 😀

• therevdd says:

If you haven’t regretted me being in your life by this point, it’s too late for you, hon. 😛

Honestly, though, that was just too perfect a set-up.

Would it help if I told you I adored you? Or that the T-Fest piece is nearing completion, which means I can soon get back to the next book review?

5. Jim says:

I will use this for its intended purpose even though I had a couple more military rank puns involving Dick Sargent and Land of The Lost, Rick Marshall.

I watched Jigoku on TCM and didn’t know if it would be appropriate to put it in the House thread as it was as close as I could get.

I am confused. The title may mean Hell. Or it may have been released under multiple titles. Or there may be subtitle mistranslation (think Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah Ragos/Lagos Island). The opening scene is a classroom setting discussing the concept of Hell. It’s explained that the word “naraku” is derived from the Sanskrit word for hell. I decided not to bother Googling since I figured my brain would explode with more confusion than clarification. I do know Ben said an alternate title was Sinners of Hell.

I enjoyed it, but was distracted. It made me yearn for a badly dubbed English language version where the lips don’t match the words.

Anyone remember the old SNL skit Kramer vs. Godzilla?

6. KeithB says:

The new (I guess) comet network is having a “Catyclysm” On Oct 29th – A wicked kitty Marathon.

Just thought you might want to know… 8^)

7. Jim says:

It’s:
    Tomb of Ligeia
    Cat People
    Curse of The Cat People
    Stephen King’s Cat’s Eye

All except the first I’ve seen recently on TCM, without commercials. So no big deal for me that Comcast in my area doesn’t have Comet.

8. DennisMM says:

Whilst reading about Bela Lugosi, I discovered that YouTube has (admittedly poor prints of) both “Bela Lugosi Meets a Brooklyn Gorilla” (AKA “The Boys from Brooklyn”) and “Vampire Over London” (originally released as “Old Mother Riley Meets the Vampire” in the UK and in the U.S.A., years later, as “My Son the Vampire.”) They are difficult to watch, but they are significant, I think, as documentation of what happened to Lugosi in later years but before his time working with Edward D. Wood. The story behind “Vampire Over London” is especially sad.

9. Jim says:

Curse of the Demon:

1). Another killer kitteh!

2). Is there a name for the font used in the credits? Looks like little licks of flame on the characters.

10. Just wanted to say–again–that you and Ken Begg are probably responsible for me buying more films than I care to comment upon. The difference being that I know Ken’s “recommendations” are going to be painful, while yours are generally more positive. The Japanese “House” and the American “Child’s Play” are two recent examples. I haven’t finished rewatching “House” yet–I find the piano score really annoying–but “Child’s Play” turned out to be very taut and suspenseful. You should set up a DVD store, or at least have a list of films “Lyz Approved!” or something.

11. Jim says:

Unnecessary question #437

From Secret Screams

Ghosthunter Dude:
    Have the spirit appearances been more frequent or increasing in intensity?

Distressed Woman: Yes. Why? IS THAT BAD??

• Dawn says:

Just think of how many other ways you can phrase that question –
      Have the —
      earthquakes? heart attacks? nose bleeds? volcanic eruptions? shark attacks? visits from your mother-in-law? dinosaurs? fainting spells? cracks in walls? gunshots? zombies? chicken fried steaks?
      been more frequent or increasing in intensity?
      Yes. Why? IS THAT BAD?

Feel free to add your own.

• Jim says:

Both parts of the dialogue are weak. For example:

Have the pixies continued to do nothing to harm you, mended your shoes, put a gold coin under your pillow each morning, invented a delicious new ice cream flavor and prevented Justin Beiber from booking a concert in town this weekend?
        Yes. Why? IS THAT GOOD??

12. Jim says:

I know now I must add The Blob and The Green Slime double feature to my list of holiday film viewings. My list is topped by Project Shadowchaser II. Anyone care to share theirs?

• lyzmadness says:

Most Christmases I like to watch a double-bill of Die Hard + We’re No Angels (original version), with Shark Zone thrown in if time permits; although I skipped this last year, not having the heart after our loss of Alan Rickman. (So maybe Die Hard + Galaxy Quest this year…)

My real summer project this year, though, is…something I’m almost too embarrassed to admit to. Stay tuned!

13. Dawn says:

I have a collection of the complete stories of Hans Christian Andersen. You know him, the author of charming children’s stories, right?
    I’ve been rereading them, and some of those stories would scare E. A. Poe.
    I did remember the one of the young girl who went dancing in red shoes when she was supposed to be taking care of her grandmother, and was cursed to continually dance, so she chopped her feet off and went on crutches. Every time she tried to go into a church, the red shoes (with original feet) would come dancing by and prevent her, since she had not confessed her sins. “Now sweet dreams, honey!”
    I did not remember the one where the evil man kills his sister’s fiancé, but a little elf tells her where to find the body, so she digs up his head and buries it in a very large flower pot. She dies of a broken heart, and a plant grows out of the skull. The man is eventually convicted of his crime.
    I don’t think that’s ever been made into a movie.

14. Jim says:

A Couple of Degrees of Jim

I just found out my dog walker’s husband is Albert Dekker’s nephew.

15. Dawn says:

I saw Frogs last week, and I would highly recommend it for you, Lyz. Of course, you need to mute it, and fast-forward through all the scenes of just people, and concentrate on the snakes, frogs, toads, lizards, and spiders. I especially liked the scene in the green house when the lizards (lots of them!) lock the door and push all the poisonous chemicals off the shelves to kill the (one of many) obnoxious human. I swear, those lizards were laughing.
    I did close my eyes when the leeches showed up.

You’re not seriously suggesting that I’m unfamiliar with Frogs, are you!? 😀

On the contrary, it’s one of those films I love so unreservedly that I never actually get around to dealing with them. (And yes, I know that doesn’t make sense, but it’s so: there’s a subset that gets put aside repeatedly because, “No, no, I don’t have time to do this justice just now…”)

• Dawn says:

What it really needs is subtitles of the Frogs (or Toads) croaking. I assume they’re the masterminds of the whole operation, giving instructions to all the other creatures. Just think how improved the movie would be with the right voice-over actors. Jack Nicholson comes to mind.

• Jim says:

In line with Dawn’s voice over suggestion of Jack Nicholson, I nominate Rosie O’Donnell. Before being accused of sensitivity that I’m suggesting that she looks like a frog I defend my choice in advance by noting the obvious pun.

Rosie the Rib-beter.

• Dawn says:

“My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to Die.”
        “You dirty rat. You killed my brother.”
        “What we have here is a failure to communicate.”
        any other suggestions for the Frogs’ dialog?

• Alaric says:

“It isn’t easy being green…”

16. Ray Ochitwa says:

There’s a madwoman on the internet (Allison Pregler) who declared her intention to make a video review of EVERY episode of Baywatch – she just started season six, demonstrating amazing commitment and endurance. Or maybe that she needs to be committed. Watching one of those reviews reminded me that once upon a time you suffered through an Australian filmed Baywatch story yourself. I found it on Jabootu, still up, still funny and biting. The images seem to have disappeared and there are some formatting quirks but the core is still a rewarding read. Captures the astonishing level of unselfaware silliness that show reached. When I first read it I had never seen an episode. JAG Down Under is there too!

• lyzmadness says:

I won’t thank you for reminding me of those—talk about DEEP HURTING. Though I suppose that’s what I get for violating my own rule never to watch anything tagged “down under”.

As for the rest— It’s actually helpful to realise that there are people out there even nuttier than I am! 🙂

17. It’s possible that my insanity has spread into my brain like wildfire, but I would have sworn that you did a review of “Halloween III: Season of the Witch” on one of your websites. I vividly recall your annoyance with the jingle, and your praise of Dan O’Herlihy’s performance. Or did I fall into a parallel dimension? And if I did, can you help me find my keys?

18. Dan O’Herlihy doing the clap-clap-clap. That’s probably the unnerving moment for this film that keeps it alive.

19. Hi Liz, I would have sworn there was no entry for the film in the index. It’s possible I was suffering from a bout of stupidity, however, as I see it clearly there now.

20. Jim says:

So this insomniac turned on First Men on the Moon and then popped into Twitter to check to see if my Tweet for #NostalgiaIn5Words of “Victor Borge’s Inflationary Language Routine” garnered any likes. (It didn’t). And the most recent Tweet was

TCM before millennials ruined it.

Which I appreciated.

No need to point out the hypocrisy/irony/contradiction of me watching TCM and farting around on Twitter looking at a bust on millennials who are apt to be using Twitter instead of watching a 1964 movie on TCM, I know.

21. Dawn says:

So Comet TV is having another marathon next Sunday, April 22.
    Ghost of Dragstrip Hollow
    The Atomic Brain
    The Killer Shrews
    The Giant Gila Monster
    The Milpitas Monster
    The Wasp Woman.

Set your alarm clock, you won’t want to miss them!

The Killer Shrews
      Proving that it’s not only reptiles that suffer the indignity of having foam rubber attachments glued to them for a movie special effect.

• Dawn says:

I had seen all of these before except for The Milpitas Monster. I watched that for about an hour and gave up (I also needed to do some yard work). I looked the movie up, and it was done by high school students in the town of Milpitas, and apparently the whole town helped out. If I had known that, I would have tried to last a little longer, knowing that I was actually seeing the townspeople “act”. It added a layer of interest to the movie that the script was somewhat lacking.

22. Jim says:

Speaking of IITS! And thank you for the Jabootu link to the glossary.

I was just gifted an old VCR and can now access my old VHS library. Just at random I grabbed an old sci fi movie. Jim’s rule of space ship orientation still holds true today after all these years. The bridges of starships with a distinct up and down side aspect ALWAYS face each other. Even in Wrath of Khan, one of few movies to acknowledge space is three dimensional the ships were still both sunny side up.

Uhura, send a message to the Klingon fleet! We have dibs on orientation, they have to flip over! This is rather confusing based on statistics. Especially in the middle of space without a planet to get a reading of north and south magnetic poles.

• Kit Coyote says:

It would be interesting to see if the Honor Harrington books were ever moved to the big screen. Since orienting the ship to put the impenetrable top and bottoms of the hull towards the enemy and the unshielded bow should never face the enemy, would the screenwriters keep true to it or handwave it away?

• DennisMM says:

They’re just being polite.

23. Jim says:

Since there is this thread for miscellaneous stuff:

Actors and actresses I’ve met that are/were quite pleasant (that you have a reasonable chance of knowing without Google):
    Michelle Bauer
    Michael Berryman
    Brion James
    Brinke Stevens
    William Marshall
    Bruce Campbell
    Gunnar Hansen (at the hotel bar the convention was held in, talked for over half an hour)
    Fred Olen Ray
    Roger Corman
    PJ Soles
    John Phillip Law

24. Kit Coyote says:

I was reading a review of one of the great B Classics The Giant Claw today. One of the comments talked about how Katzman didn’t have the budget for the stop-motion he wanted to use and ran off to Mexico to do the special effects and the now famous cheezy puppet. There seemed to be a general opinion that the live action shots were actually pretty good for what it was and when it was made.

This got me thinking, There is a lot of content providers and fan filmmakers out there on YouTube or other places that do some pretty good amateur video work. It would be pretty cool to see someone take the film and replace the original special effects with some homemade CGI. Provided you could get the rights to it. What do think?

• lyzmadness says:

My love for that anti-matter buzzard is such, I don’t want to think about the film without her! You’d have a reasonably good film if it had better special effects, but you’d also have a lot less reason to watch it: it would just be one amongst many instead of something unique.

• RogerBW says:

Yes, there are lots of films with terribly earnest heroes saving the world, but the effects are what make me remember that it’s this one.

Also, if I were making effects like that, I’d probably try to use them for something original.

• Jim says:

I didn’t want to chime in right away as the comment was directed to our glorious leader. Let me sum up my position this way. I would certainly watch the version with the upgraded special effects. I would pay for a copy of the original in all its cheesy low budget glory. It will come as no surprise that I just watched my original VHS videotape copy book of Return of The Aliens: Deadly Spawn less than a week ago. The best video version, complete with the oversized box. I can’t imagine a remake with better special effects improving it.

• Kit Coyote says:

Well, of course, I wouldn’t want to replace the original, I’m just curious about what could have been. *grins* I did some searches looking for fan art but only found one that actually tried to give a more realistic rendition.

25. DennisMM says:

Lyz, thanks for ‘porting over so many pieces from the old site. It’s great to have them here. I dearly hope to see more of the inaccessible reviews from AYCYAS available in the near future. Give us the archives!

• lyzmadness says:

I’m trying to keep it ticking over but the older stuff invariably becomes a significant job, as I always end up revising as well as reformatting. But I’m at least working on giving you something on a regular basis! 🙂

• DennisMM says:

I really appreciate it. I have enjoyed your writing at both locations and, when visiting AYCYAS, sometimes feel frustrated. “Dadgum it!” I muse, “there needs to be a way to read all of these!” Someone mentioned the Wayback Machine as a possible option. I suppose it can’t hurt to try.

• Dawn says:

If it helps, I was able to read an unaccessible review by going through IMDB, which I found by accident. I had just watched The Wasp Woman (original, without the extra scenes), and looked for your old review, which sent me to Blue Mountain again. I looked it up in IMDB, and there you were, under External Review, and it actually showed up when I clicked on it.
        I agree with you about the scientist being one of the least mad ones on record. There was one creepy scene, however, where he goes to Janice’s office and talks to the receptionist, who has a friend visiting. He leers at the friend for a very long time. You half expect to find her body in the wasp cage in the next scene.

26. Jim says:

This was already saved in the Wayback Machine, the alphabetic first of the sci-fi reviews.

I for one am willing to spend some time making sure that all of these are archived. (I have way too much free time on my hands). Probably too big to handle on my own and organizing and cataloguing somewhere…whew!

And I actually have a copy of this movie.

• lyzmadness says:

Yyyyeah, they’re all out there; I’d rather they were left alone, though, until I’ve had a chance to renovate. 🙂

• Jim says:

Some of the links in both the original blog and the archived main page try to send you to

bluemountains.net.au

Just randomly poking around I found two, e.g. Repossessed.

• lyzmadness says:

True, the early-early stuff was on a server that doesn’t exist any more; but I still have the raw materials—and I still hope to be doing a knockdown-rebuild with it at some point.

• RogerBW says:

I think it’s fair to ask – is there anything we can do to help with that? (Massed programmatic rewriting of web pages, for example, which is something I do already.) The answer “no” is of course entirely acceptable.

And “no” is the answer you’re going to get. 😀

There really isn’t anything anyone else can do: it’s purely a matter of my time. I’m trying to keep the stuff that just needs to be moved ticking over, but the older stuff needs (in my opinion, anyway) a thorough overhaul, and that takes longer than you might think.

So thanks, but I’ll just have to keep plugging away…

27. DennisMM says:

Liz, I just encountered your review of “Escape from Galaxy 3” over at the old site.

28. Jim says:

If you’ve seen too many movies something like this is bound to happen. It’s part of the reason that the math works for the Six Degrees Of Kevin Bacon game.

Our story begins with the passing of magician and actor Ricky Jay. As I usually do I search out my library for the only available film to watch as a tribute – House of Games. Not my normal type of movie without horror and aliens, but since my hobby is acting as an experimental criminal psychologist (don’t ask) it’s a favorite like The Sting because of con men. I finally got around to checking here to see if HoG had any mentions.

Utilizing the search feature on “House of Games” I get several hits. Semi-randomly I look first at Et. Al August 2016 where although I don’t see how HoG ties in to the post the first review is Lady of Chance about confidence artists.

And here’s where it gets really weird. Since Ricky was a magician first, his acting was a byproduct of his actual career, often used as a technical adviser for sleight of hand. Since he was an astounding sleight of hand master, some say the best ever, there’s a lot of old film of Ricky on the late night talk show circuit which I binged on for my tribute. This included Ricky’s Learned Pigs and Fireproof Women which I watched for the first time ever yesterday afternoon. Complete with a commercial for the release of Spaced Invaders which is also in August 2016 Et. Al.

To manipulate these coincidences is one of the greatest feats Ricky ever performed. But kidding aside, if you ever get entertainment from watching magic I highly recommend searching out some old Ricky Jay material. He’s so good he can explain the trick like magicians are supposed to not do and you still can’t believe that it’s pulled off. Also, Ricky is one of the main stars of X-files season 8 episode, The Amazing Maleeni, which is one of that series more light hearted offerings and worth a watch IMO.

29. therevdd says:

In the spirit of the holidays…

Last year, I watched a few Krampus movies, the intention being to end the holiday binge with, naturally, Krampus. For some reason I never got around to the last part. Well, I’m kind of glad now, as last night at my local Alamo Drafthouse I got to see it on the big screen. I quite enjoyed it, as one might imagine. Krampus’ design was amazing. Also, parts of it were like watching Demonic Toys if it had had a budget and more talent behind it, and now I really want to see these people do a remake of it. Also, I may have been the only one to get the reference to “the noodle incident,” as my laughter was longer and louder than anyone’s at that point. Which kind of makes me sad, but anyway.

Tonight, I’m going to be seeing Silent Night, Deadly Night, with a Q&A with Robert Brian Wilson afterward. (I’m strongly considering asking him to give us a “PUNISH!!!” for old time’s sake.) This, in turn, makes me think of you, my dear Lyzzy, and how much I adore you, which I haven’t told you lately, so forgive me.

• Dawn says:

a further holiday comment, for people I think might appreciate this –
      about 40 years ago, in Mesa AZ, someone had the bright idea of having Santa parachute down to a bunch of screaming kids for some publicity stunt. When it came time to take off, it was discovered that Santa had been freely imbibing of Holiday Cheer, and was in no shape to parachute (or probably much else). Someone (probably the same bright lad) made the suggestion of dressing a dummy up in Santa’s outfit and dropping it by parachute, while having the real (so to speak) Santa safely on the ground. The dummy went up and came down, plummeting to the earth when the parachute did not properly deploy. So hundreds of terrified kids had the Christmas treat of watching Santa fall to his death.
      A very good time to have the “Santa’s not real” talk with your children.

• DennisMM says:

As God is my witness, I thought Santa could fly.

• Jim says:

On December 15th 1968, the sports world witnessed another famous incident of Santa not quite being Santa. The Philadelphia Eagles we’re having a bad season. (Common for them in those years). And the weather wasn’t cooperating. The stadium was filled with snow, seating was messed up, and the one thing to look forward to was that as the home game before Christmas, Santa was scheduled to be part of the halftime show.

But the streets were still a mess from the winter storm and he got stuck in traffic.

So the legacy of Philadelphia as being a city filled with crappy sports fans was cemented as when Santa did finally appear he was resoundingly booed and pelted with snowballs.

30. DennisMM says:

It’s been a while since I moseyed over to General Chatter.

Filmstruck is dead. I never subscribed, because my entertainment spending was starting to outpace my disposable income and my time for viewing was shrinking. Hulu lost the Criterion Collection to Filmstruck in 2016, and two years later the CC is unavailable for streaming anywhere. It will find a new home, I know. The Turner/MGM films will, no doubt, eventually find another streaming home, also, but the whole affair stings. Having accounts with a significant number of the competing streaming services is starting to be more expensive than a decent cable package with some premium channels. Cutting the cord was supposed to make watching cheaper, with a broader range of material. I shouldn’t be surprised that didn’t happen. American capitalism is like that.

*sigh*

31. Ericb says:

Hey Lyz, and anyone else who might be interested, I thought you might enjoy this article on the “Frankenstein at 200” exhibition. Too bad this exhibit is on the other side of the world from Australia as it seems right up your alley!

32. Sebastian Howard says:

Well I can’t find your email though I think its somewhere on the site so I guess I’ll just post this here, I was wondering if you ever changed your mind or warmed to Scream or its first sequel at all (though I will say that you were a lot more positive about 2 than 1). I’m just curious because those reviews were posted in the early 00s and the first Scream is still kind of considered a classic by a lot of people but at the same time your criticisms are on point. I really just wanted to know if you’ve grown to enjoy it more or do you still have the same general impression in your reviews?

• lyzmadness says:

It’s on the front page—the last place you’d look! 😀

No, if anything I dislike it more now because I’m better informed. I do mean to give it an overhaul at some point, so I guess there’s a possibility I’ll change my mind when I sit down again and really think about it. (And yes, at the moment I still do think that the first two-thirds of the second one are much cleverer than anything in the first. I’ve avoided the third one so far but I suppose it’ll happen…)

33. lyzmadness says:

===>>>

Apologies, people!

The last couple of months I have been dealing with some personal crap that has left me with neither the time nor the energy for getting anything done here.

However—it has now become imperative (for reasons explicated at the B-Masters’ Blog) that I knuckle down and get some serious work done.

So I figured I’d start by actually responding to your comments. You know—by way of easing myself back in… 🙂

34. Dawn says:

another movie I’d never heard of, but saw last week thanks to TCM!
    The Monster and the Girl.
    Very much like The Living Dead, only with a gorilla costume and White Slavery. (Have I piqued your interest?)
    It would make a great triple feature with The Living Dead and The Indestructible Man.
    Etiquette note – when you’re at the trial of the man you framed for murder, it’s really quite impolite to smirk when he is sentenced to death. It’s also unwise, as it makes it evident to him who are the 5 men responsible for his situation.

• lyzmadness says:

…and Ellen Drew, who was in just about EVERYTHING at that date…

Yes, I’m familiar with that one, but it’s been a while.

I miss TCM, sigh…

• therevdd says:

That was about the only thing I regretted giving up when I dumped my cable. I suppose I kind of miss Siffy, as well, but honestly that’s probably more of a Stockholm Syndrome thing.

• Jim says:

I get TCM still. But who knows how much longer since Comcast embraces their power and routinely shuffles things around. Last time they got rid of three options I liked, and as an example generously(sarcastic) added Shout Factory. Which for over a year now has had exactly three movies. Radar Secre (MST3k), Colossal Beast(MST3k) and Assault on Precinct 13.

In the meantime I’ve gone through a lot of my old VHS tapes. Even found Boarding House which has the dubious distinction of being the first horror movie shot on video.

35. lyzmadness says:

I’d just like to offer a shout-out to whoever it was who found me via THIS search-string:

movie doug mcclure was in where he was helicopter pilot who landed a plane after pilot got food poisoning

😀

36. Jim says:

R.I.P. John Carl Buechler

37. lyzmadness says:

==========>

So here we are AGAIN.

Sorry, people: I’ve been dealing with a shitstorm of family stuff lately (the sequel to what was going on before Christmas), and have had no time and no energy to get anything else done.

But the pressure is finally off, so hopefully I can get things moving again. In fact I really have to, in a Roundtable month!

But as a small start, I’ll be going back and responding to comments from the past couple of months. Also, those of you I owe emails to (you know who you are!), I’m hoping to cleaning out my inbox soon too. (Although that said, dealing with my unpaid bills will probably come first…)

• Jim says:

Wow. Lyz is back. And I got a personal email from Joe Mantegna a bit ago. Movie life is good right now.

Aw, thank you. 🙂

The best I’ve ever done is an email from Ramsey Campbell after I reviewed The Haunted Palace. Though I have had a few aggrieved contacts over the years, explaining how it wasn’t the screenwriter’s fault, it was the director’s; or it wasn’t the director’s fault, it was the producer’s…

• therevdd says:

I’m just happy you were finally able to take a moment and break radio silence. Looking forward to whatever you’re cooking up this month. 🙂

• lyzmadness says:

I can only thank you for your unreasonable patience… 😦

• therevdd says:

You are very welcome, my dear. I’ve never had my patience called “unreasonable” before, but I kind of like it. (Probably because it’s you saying it.) I’m sure said patience will be well-rewarded with another great review! 😀

38. Dawn says:

I saw on the news that scientists discovered a new miniature glow-in-the-dark shark, which they are calling Pocket Sharks.
    I immediately thought of Lyz, and how long it will take her to order one.

• RogerBW says:

“I immediately thought of Lyz, and how long it will take her to order one.”

Surely, in the best traditions of these things, they have been discovered now because they recently escaped from her secret underwater laboratory?

• Dawn says:

of course they only escaped because a gang of (really really stupid) gangsters broke into her lab. Or was it the really really stupid college students on a scavenger hunt?

• Alaric says:

Really stupid gangsters on a scavenger hunt, obviously.

• Alaric says:

(Sorry, left off one “really”.)

• therevdd says:

They must have been something she was making simply to have something new to coo and squeal over; they’re not an obvious weapon like her radio-controlled zombie army.

Unless that’s what she WANTS us to think…

• Jim says:

If we’re talking about both sharks and zombies now I feel forced to warn you. Ian Ziering and maybe some more of the people that brought us Sharknados have Zombie Tidal Wave cooked up.

• lyzmadness says:

Note to self: if you want your secret research to stay secret, DON’T make it glow in the dark.

It was Ally Sheedy, in pursuit of another story. 1,753 people have died horribly as a result of her actions, but I’m sure I’m the one really at fault here…

39. DennisMM says:

Myz Lyz,

I was reading your review of “Red Water on the old site when I came across this:

“Bull sharks have been found as far up the Mississippi as Illinois – and almost twice that distance up the Amazon. They swarm in the Ganges, for reasons I won’t get into here.”

Is it because Hindu funerals have, at times, caused the river to be almost choked with corpses?

• lyzmadness says:

Well, if you’re going to be tacky about it…YES!!!! 😀

• DennisMM says:

I’m sorry that I offended. I considered my statement blunt, not tacky. My disdain for funeral customs rose up when I typed my comment. I once was a journalist, and was taught to convey information in an unvarnished manner. The last couple of decades have inculcated in me a disregard for many social niceties. Put those together and I guess I’ve become somewhat crass.

Thanks for your statement. I will try to do better in the future.

• lyzmadness says:

No, no, no: you misunderstand.

It’s simply that spelling things like that out does NOT do the sharks any favours… 😀

40. DennisMM says:

I’m used to forums and boards where editing is permitted, if only for a handful of minutes after the original comment posts. The more you know. Thank you.

• Jim says:

I learned from the Internet to do one of a couple things. Either make a sock puppet account to do your commenting or just blame autocorrect.

And on a side note, Zombie Tidal Wave was fun for me. Sharknado plot with zero special effects budget. Turn your brain off before watching or ovoid. Stupid autocorrect.

Other side note. Missing Rutger Hauer.

• lyzmadness says:

I can always get in and edit or delete: just drop me an email if you want something tidied up (trust me, I understand how exasperating a typo can be!).

• therevdd says:

Be careful about asking for editing of comments too much, or she will become exasperated and mock you mercilessly about it.

Not that I would know from experience or anything…

• DennisMM says:

I try to refrain for asking administrators for favors. Only when I pull the kind of screw-up even I find hard to believe.

41. therevdd says:

I’m not sure why it took so long for me to think of posting this here, in the hopes of getting a response from our beloved host.

So, given that I’m sure you had plenty of time to see it, and acting on the assumption that you did so, what did you think of Godzilla: King of the Monsters, my dear? (Obviously all and sundry may join in, although in case she hasn’t seen it maybe be careful with spoilers.)

• Jim says:

I thought the same that I read and heard a lot of others say. Cutting away from the monster fights to catch up on what stupid humans are doing is really distracting and annoying. Godzilla vs King Ghidorah from the early nineties is the example of the way to do it right. (And the same formula applies to the other 90’s films.). Godzilla clomps around while the stupid humans are being stupid. The other monster clomps or flies around. Then at the end there’s a big fight, uninterrupted. Sure there’s a couple of minor skirmishes along the way, but the main event always satisfied.

And do we really need three scenes of, “Oh, no! The giant monster is going to kill me! Whoa! Saved at the last second, that was close!”?

• therevdd says:

The problem for me was the humans we were cutting away to. I really didn’t care about most of them as characters in and of themselves. It’s something they’ve done throughout the entire series, but it’s perfectly fine if the characters are interesting or compelling. That wasn’t really the case here. So, that part was a bit underwhelming. However, the monster stuff was really well-done (which was a relief, since there was quite a bit more of it this go-round); that, along with the basic story line and the hints of what was going on in the background, managed to pull me through the rough parts. Overall I found it a big step up from the first movie, enough so that I ended up seeing it twice.

I do hear you on the three scenes, though. Yeah, that was a bit much.

• lyzmadness says:

and acting on the assumption that you did so

Um, yeah.

You know how in Et Al., I’m trying to catch up on 2008??

No, the sad fact is I am vastly behind in that area; though I might offer as an excuse (particularly since you’re always nagging me about it!) that I’m trying to get some work done at the other end of the spectrum. Which is to say, I have a review that’s been sitting around unfinished for even longer than I was working on my Jaws overhaul. 😕

• therevdd says:

I’m sorry to hear you didn’t get a chance to catch it while it was in theaters. I seem to recall that also happening with you and Shin Godzilla, although that was mostly due to its very short release schedule outside of Japan, if I remember correctly.

I find myself wondering if there’s a crossed wire here; what have I been nagging you about? The only review I can think of that I’ve done anything remotely close to nagging about is King Kong vs. Godzilla

• lyzmadness says:

Yeah, that’s right. I’m so far out of the loop at the moment, though, I’m not even sure this one *got* a theatrical release; though it’s just started being advertised on cable as a new release.

Mmmmmm-hmm.

It ain’t the number of things you nag about, it’s the number of times. 😀

• therevdd says:

I hardly think once a year, if that, can be construed as nagging by even the most stringent standards. But apparently SOMEone would disagree.

To which I am strongly considering responding with a “Bah” and/or “Feh.”

• lyzmadness says:

Hmm… Well, you might be right about the timing. All I know for sure is that I found two different instances of it while poking around the other day, so it’s not exactly uncommon… 😀

42. lyzmadness says:

This week’s shout-out is to—

Whoever found me by searching for Peter Cushion. 😀

43. dawn says:

I get a lot of junk email. I’m not sure how I got the one for forklifts.
    I also get a lot of emails with offers to improve my website. But the last one did puzzle me. It offered to help me with my website, A Course of Steady Reading.
    I was quite flattered, actually.

• lyzmadness says:

I hope you didn’t put them off: God knows it needs all the help it can get!!

I’m guessing that from from the same person who has “just conducted an in-depth review” of my old site, without noticing the ‘this site is no longer operational’ paragraph on the front page…

44. Jim says:

I thought Rutger Hauer was going be the toughest RIP for me this year. But Comcast just took TCM off my tier I get with my package so now I’ll have to pay extra for it.

45. therevdd says:

My favorite streaming channel is now playing perhaps the most important movie in regards to this site. How important? Well…without it, this site might’ve been called “Mad Science Movie Meanderings” or something. 🙂

(I do kind of wish this had been called “Hidin’ Behind Jive Talk Reviews,” but I’m certain that’s only me.)

46. therevdd says:

I almost put this under the Shark Kill review, but since we have this specifically for tangents, let’s put it here.

The confluence of you redoing shark movie reviews, plus our discussion of animal killing regarding Shark Kill and Beyond Loch Ness, led me to ponder something that no doubt looms on your horizon (like a cloud in the shape of a killer shark). I hope you don’t mind me asking this, but: when you get to movies like Mako: The Jaws of Death and Tintorera, are you going to *gulp* watch them again? I suppose this time around you’d better know when to avert your eyes and fast-forward, but still, that seems like a terrible burden. I guess you could just do straight transfers of the older pieces to avoid this, although that seems unlikely given your…shall we say, fastidiousness regarding such things?

Funny you should ask…

As it happens I’ve been going over some of the old material for precisely that purpose. The first question is whether the review needs a significant overhaul or only tweaking. For example, I decided with Shark Kill that I hadn’t said enough about it as a film, rather than just its place in the timeline, so I did re-watch it for that purpose.

The second question is, did I keep all the original screenshots and will they do—and that is more often where I’m caught out.

So the immediate answer would be, “I hope not, but—“

• therevdd says:

Thank you for the response. I sincerely hope you don’t feel you have to re-watch them, as I hate thinking about you having to suffer such torment again. Especially since I can’t provide a shoulder to sob into.

47. Jim says:

I suppose I’d better not put this on the Them! comments. Even though it looks to me like this is the Frankenmovie that is the result of recreational peyote use, watching a double feature of Them! and This Is Spinal Tap and deciding to make a film.

I watched Dead Ant and returned to the glory days when searching out the worst movie I could find at the Mom and Pop rental store. At least we got one really awful/great song out of this.

What a time to be alive.